If you’re trying to make a change in your life, whether it’s small or huge, you’re going to run into obstacles. Here are five ideas to help you hurdle the obstacles and stay on your new path.
- Expect backslides. When you start down a new path, you feel all rosy and envision a bright future. And it can be a shock when you hit a dead-end. But if you head down a new path anticipating obstacles, they’re not nearly as shocking when you meet them. When you know they’re coming, you’re like, “Yep. I knew that was going to happen. And here’s how I’m going to deal with it.” Now you’re not at a dead-end. You’re at a diversion, and your job is to figure out a workaround to continue down the new pat
- Learn new skills. Somehow, we think we’re magically going to know how to do things differently. But change is hard. How can you prepare? Is there something you can read about this? Can you find a mentor? Or take a class? And remember when you learn something new, you have to practice it to get good, so give yourself some time to change.
- Avoid temptations. If you’re trying to eat healthier, don’t have favorite junk foods within easy reach. If you’re trying to exercise more, don’t over plan your day and leave yourself no time to exercise. If you’re trying to get more sleep, don’t turn the TV on late in the evening. If you want to be successful, give yourself the best chance of success by reducing temptations along the way.
- Ask for help. People get used to you being a certain way. If you’re trying to change, let your friends and family know what you’re up to, and ask them for their help and support. This helps in two ways. First, they’ll be less likely to tempt you back into your old ways. And second, once you tell someone your plans, you’re much more likely to make a change happen.
- Remind yourself that you’re choosing to make this change. Paint a picture in your head about what this change will look like, and remind yourself why you’re making the change. You’re not eliminating something you don’t like. You’re moving toward something you do like! You’re in charge. You are the decision maker.
Spring is a great time of year to try something new. The days are getting longer. The sun is feeling stronger. Grab that energy and see what you can make happen.
I saw this “iguana rock” today. I’m amazed that as many times as I walk the shore, I see new things almost every day. And usually they’ve been there the whole time. It just my perspective that changes 🙂